I Met André Leon Talley

Last night, courtesy of the blog Phashionista, I attended a screening of The September Issue at the Ritz Five Theater in Philadelphia. In case you haven't heard, it's a documentary about the making of Vogue magazine, the bible of the fashion industry. After a lifetime of worshiping at the altar of Vogue, it was a revelation to witness the relationship between editor-in-chief Anna Wintour and creative director Grace Coddington. The film, directed by R.J. Cutler, is like the magazine: gorgeously shot and riveting from start to finish. I plan on seeing it again and again, and I recommend it to all of you.

Immediately following the movie there was a Q&A session with the director and - holy smokes! - Vogue's editor-at-large André Leon Talley. I have adored him for years; his column is the first thing I turn to when Vogue arrives. In the film he is fabulous in a full complement of Louis Vuitton, in person he was resplendent in a textured black cape and red shirt. I was absolutely enthralled as he talked about his early days in New York working for Andy Warhol and Interview Magazine, the history of fashion, dining in Paris, lunching with Ms. Wintour, why he plays tennis, how he mentors new designers and photographers...

As were leaving the theater I waited... and then... he was right there in front of me. I looked him straight in the eye and asked, "Mr. Talley, would you please take my card?", and he looked right back at me and in the kindest tone answered, "Of course". It was brief but epic. I know it was a cliché thing to do, but my cards have photos of my jewelry on them and there was no way in Hades I was going to let the moment pass without introducing myself. And it's funny, I know and meet a lot of celebrities and it never fazes me, but as the words were leaving my mouth I realized I was completely breathless. I'm not sure if I sounded super-sexy or like I was having an asthma attack.

Rock stars, movie stars, whatever. I met André Leon Talley.

XO,
Glamorosi

♥ ♥ ♥