Boy George Tour Coming to Philly's Theater of Living Arts in April

Boy George
Boy George
By A.D. AMOROSI

When Boy George releases This is What I Do in North America this March, it will be his first pop album in 18 years. This new solo record features a soulful sound closer to how we first came to know and love Boy George back in 1982 (Culture Club’s Kissing to Be Clever and hits such as “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?”), rather than the house music he’s been spinning in recent years. Fans can hear Boy George's new material live when his 2014 tour stops in Philadelphia on April 18 at the Theater of the Living Arts (aka TLA).

Boy George says of his new album This is What I Do, and singles such as “King of Everything,” that he worked differently than he has in his past, both as a solo singer and as the outrageously-dressed front man for Culture Club. “This time, I let the music seduce me, and went from there,” he says. “I like messing around.”

Boy George is even more enthusiastic about discussing his This is What I Do tour schedule, and how he is perceived in Philadelphia (back in the day, Culture Club did their first dates in the area at the long-gone Ripley Music Hall). “They love me there,” he says with a laugh.

As for the music of the City of Brotherly Love, Boy George talks about it excitedly. “The Sound of Philadelphia? I grew up with that. It’s the sound of my youth, all that Stylistics stuff and Gamble & Huff. All those classic records were part of my education and my record collection.”

We could say the same thing about Culture Club's records.

Boy George will be appearing at the The Theater of the Living Arts (TLA), 334 South Street, Philadelphia, PA. For tickets and a list of upcoming shows visit LiveNation.com/BoyGeorge.

Photo credit: Dean Stockings

Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014