Interview: Chad Daniels - Comedian and Soccer Dad

Comedian Chad Daniels

By A.D. AMOROSI

When Minnesota-born stand-up comic Chad Daniels hits Punch Line Philly in September, he comes with the dubious distinction of being one of 13 comedians to have appeared on The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien, before former host Jay Leno changed his mind about giving up the host chair and got NBC to remove O’Brien. Now, the snarky Daniels has continued his relationship with O’Brien with many a star turn on the stages of CONAN on TBS, as well as releasing albums on the Stand-Up and 800 Lb. Gorilla labels, and appearing on the Comedy Central network with two stand-up specials, Chad Daniels: As Is and Comedy Central Presents.

A.D. Amorosi: I know way more about Minnesota than I should, what with having been there to cover Prince. Are you still a hockey fan now that you are grown and cosmopolitan?
Chad Daniels: One thing you must have missed on your trips here – you don’t ever grow out of liking hockey.

A.D.: How much of your past is in your new work on a regular basis? Are elements of your Minnesota life manifested in your newest work? Or do you eschew that?
Chad: I don’t think about my material having to hit any certain guidelines. If I think something is funny, I try to find a place for it in the set.

A.D.: Opinion: Louis C.K. and Aziz Ansari – too soon to be onstage, or is now the right time?
Chad: I recently resigned as the President of Comedy, so that is for somebody else to decide. I will say to people reading this, I don’t think they’re showing up at people’s homes, though, so if you don’t like it, don’t go.

A.D.: Politically, there are comedians who will touch Trump and the current administration and there are comedians who avoid it because it moves too fast and is too bizarre/humorous of its own accord. Where do you stand on that matter?
Chad: I don’t talk about Trump. I talk about my life. I have a 19-year-old son and a 14-year-old daughter, so it would be hard to skate around their social goings on. I’ve been pretty much the same guy my whole career. I don’t care what any other comedian says or does on stage – if I don’t like it, I won’t watch.

A.D.: Is there something other than politics gnawing at you that we may hear about in your new material?
Chad: I don’t think I should have to listen to someone else’s journey. We all have one. I gotta run to my daughter’s soccer match. I’m sure I’ll be mumbling to myself about something there.

Chad Daniels appears Sept 13-15 at Punch Line Philly, 33 E Laurel St. Show times vary, $22.50.  For more info visit PunchLinePhilly.com

Photo courtesy of Chad Daniels

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2018