Glamorosi Entry for the Philly Photo Day Exhibition: Giant Leopard Moth Caterpillar

The Philadelphia Photo Arts Center recently celebrated the second annual Philly Photo Day, an event that invited everyone to take a picture of anything they liked within city limits on October 28, and submit it to be included in an exhibition.

I was excited about participating, but then on October 27 it was raining and I saw an earthworm sliding down a storm drain, and when I reached in to save him, broken glass cut across the top of my right hand down to the bone.

By the 28th - Philly Photo Day - my hand was swollen and immobile, so instead of heading out with my camera I stayed home and attempted some one-handed gardening.

At one point I decided to move a stack of flower pots. I lifted the top pot, and under it on top of the next pot I saw what I thought was a dried echinacea flower head full of seeds. I figured a mouse had moved it there as part of his winter stash. Imagine my surprise when I went to pick it up and it moved. It turns out that the “flower head” was actually a Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar; they roll into a ball when you disturb them.

I ran in the house, grabbed my camera, steadied it by smooshing it against my face (I don’t have a tripod yet), and took a photo of the fuzzy insect using just my left hand. I love bugs and this picture makes me smile - it is now hanging in the Crane Arts Building as part of the Philly Photo Day exhibition. The show started on November 10 and runs through November 26.

Crane Arts Building
1400 N. American Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
215-232-5678


Photo by Glamorosi


To see my photos of an Eastern Black Swallowtail Butterfly emerging from his chrysalis click here.

For more posts about food, tea, fashion, gardening and events: Glamorosi.blogspot.com

♥ ♥ ♥